Saturday, December 20, 2008

Unusual snowfall for the "banana belt"



















The area where I live in Northwestern Oregon -- about 30 miles south of Portland -- is sometimes called a "banana belt" by locals because we rarely get a lot of snow when areas around us are colder and snowier. This winter seems to be an exception! The above shots, which are a little dark because I took them at approaching dusk, show that we have gotten what looks to be between 4 and 5 inches of snow today. That's the most I remember for a very long time! I am definitely snowbound because I don't have chains or 4-wheel drive but I am well-stocked with food (I have chicken breasts cooking on the stovetop and a sweet potato baking in the oven right now) so I am okay for the time being. It's supposed to change to rain tomorrow; we'll see!

No comments: